2022 - Two & Three

2022
MMXXII

Written & Published By Lydia Rees

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 2: To Hear, See & Feel

This year I have strived to be more attentive to the emotional side of me. With each disagreement, each heart throb, each moment of joy, each tear shed, I took the time to dwell in the emotions that typically, I would try & skip over. I am the type of person that, although I may not show it, I feel everything deeply. Both joy & sadness. So I have listened to my body & my mind each time I experienced one of these things. 

The absence of presence within myself is what scared me the most. Being able to overanalyse everyone else around me but then drawing blanks when it came to myself. I have learnt new things every day about my ability to handle pain, how tough the heart is that beats inside me.

In a fast paced world, it’s easy to try & move on to the next best instead of taking the time to feel the world around us.

Right now, people all around the nation are starving for compassion. People are begging for someone to SEE them! Even if they don’t ask for it, people want someone to just say “hey, I want you to know that I see you, I appreciate everything you do, & I’m proud of you”. Our world today is filled with good hearted people who have been neglected or deprived of appreciation & so if you haven’t heard it today or this week or heck this year, this is for you.

Hey, I see you. The things you do for your siblings, parents, children, I see you. The demons you fight every night & the battles you face every morning, I see you. I appreciate what you do to keep a roof over your families head & food in their bellies. I am proud of you. Mums & Dads, I am proud of you. Kiddies & Young adults, I know it’s hard but I’m proud of you. Adults in all walks of life, I am so proud of you.

If I have any advice to offer you after this year, it is this; Take your time, allow yourself to feel each emotion deeply. Remember that feeling of extreme sadness or joy. This is life, not always perfect, but that heart beating inside you is a reminder that you are alive! I see you!

Chapter 3: “685 on the speakers, 685 on the radio”

Speaking of being seen, felt and heard, the people of Samoa would tell you how much this acknowledgment means. if you have been on any social media platform in the past month, or just so happen to stumble upon a parade of blue & red flags whilst drive, what you are seeing is history in the making! 

On the 7th of November, Samoa came face to face with our brother nation Tonga for the Men's Rugby League World Cup. Whilst this was the game most anticipated by both nations, we had no idea that unprecedented waters awaited us only a few days later. A victory win over Tonga allowed our little island to come face to face again with the Tier One team that previously topped us by 54 points. 

Samoa now face to face with England, & by some miracle (that miracle of course being a field goal), we had now overcome the team that once sat us down. A finishing score of 26 to 27 our way of course. Let the 12th right through to the 20th of November be marked as a long Samoan Public holiday! Officially unofficial!  That’s when the uproar began. 

What was small parades & flags here there turned into footy fields filled with Samoa supporters. Multiple flags on every second car. Horn honking and arms flailing out the windows. Oceans of red & blue, celebrated on every JBL in the district, felt & heard by anyone within earshot distance. Our boys had made history. Backed by loyal supporters & the prayers of the elders.

It’s more than a game. Our Tier 2 country had now progressed further into the sport, putting Samoa on the map, & this time, forcing the world to watch. Influencers & celebrities with the smallest ounce of Samoan blood are now stepping forward to wish our boys luck. "685 to the world" as you may have seen time & time again on your social media. This is because the parades weren't something seen just in Sydney or Brisbane but across the world; across Australia, New Zealand, The United States of America and even in cities of the Pommy Nation (thanks Vicky hehe).

Win or lose, each time these boys step onto the field, they carry the names of their families & ancestors. Our elderly that still walk these lands are out and about with us, siva samoa in the middle of the streets with aiulis as far as the eye can see. Guys and girls of all ages flood the streets with malus and peas on display, what a time to be alive...

When the hype eventually dies down and flag are seen less and less, we will always remember this feeling. '2022 when Samoa played the world cup", we will remember how it felt to be in presence of so much pride for our country. We will remember how for a brief moment, the whole world turned their gaze to our little island.

I see old markings appear on new legs, I see more young people expressing their interest on our culture, I see older generations beam when asked a questions to do with our traditions. This sudden spike of Samoans who are finally proud to be Samoan, makes my heart so happy. I, much like many around me, am Samoan, & deadly proud to be. 

So now, it truly is 685 on your speakers, on your radios & lastly, to the world ! Go slap your mates legs & sing a cheehooo for us ! 

><><><><><

Ladies & Gentlemen, that is chapter 2 & 3 on the wrap. Thank you for joining me as we progress closer to the finale! 

Chapter 4, we stroll into the uncomfortable & visit the most anticipated topic, “they boy that revived a stone cold heart”. The most heartwarming yet equally heart breaking assortment of words, will be released on the 2nd January 2022. There is no more hesitation, we take a look at the raw unfiltered version of my love life. The good of course, the bad & most definitely the ugly ! 


Stay safe & see you then !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 - Chapter Four

Transitions

2022 - Chapter One